INTRODUCTION – GROUP SESSION
This resource will help you facilitate a short session to help a group learn from the One Idea Summary on 4 Proven Frameworks For Generating Business Ideas.
- Be able to describe what the four frameworks are.
- Demonstrate how to use the frameworks to generate business ideas.
Send a copy of the One Idea Summary on 4 Proven Frameworks For Generating Business Ideas to the participants one week before the session. They are to read it before the session and bring it with them.
Introduce the session
Introduce the session by sharing the learning objectives with them.
Review the four frameworks
Put them into small groups and tell each group to discuss and review the four frameworks. Give them flipchart paper to write a summary of their discussion about the frameworks.
Give them 10-minutes.
After 10-minutes stop them. Ask each group to tell you what they discussed. Make sure their feedback shows that they know and understand the four frameworks. If not, use the One Idea Summary to remind them of the frameworks.
Next, you will share examples of four business ideas with them. One for each framework.
Example of business ideas from each framework
Tell them that:
- Now I’m going to share with you examples of a business idea generated from each framework.
- Afterwards you will have the opportunity to use the frameworks to generate your own business ideas.
- The first framework is the RIP, PIVOT and JAM framework. The example I have for this one is a book summary subscription business focus on only training, learning and development books. The original idea was ripped from a book summary subscription business that sells subscription to multiple non-fiction book titles. Then the pivot happened by focusing on the niche area of learning, training and development. Finally, the jam is to gain customers through a weekly blog that reviews a book and give away free book summaries each month. Content will also be pushed to social networks such as LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.
- The second framework is the Sniper method. The business idea is an Amazon shop that sells only second-hand platform shoes for ladies. Instead of trying to focus on different types of shoes, the focus is on only platform shoes for ladies.
- The third framework is Shovels In The Goldrush method. The idea example here is based on the data analytics craze at the moment. Lots of people are rushing to learn data analytics related software like Microsoft’s Power BI. A shovel for this is to create a website that blogs about Power BI but also sells eBooks and training videos to help people learn the software.
- The last framework is the Scratch-Your-Own-Itch method. The example idea I have for this one is someone who is frustrated with the lack of well documented and structured information on African food recipes. He starts a website that curates recipes from different African countries and also publishes African recipe ebooks.
- These are my four examples, it’s time for you to think of your examples.
Practice using the 4 Frameworks
To get them to practice using the frameworks:
- Divide them into four small groups.
- Assign each group one of the frameworks.
- Tell each group to discuss and come up with a side hustle idea that fits with the framework.
- If they want each group can decide to come up with more than one idea for their framework.
- Give them 10-minutes to do the activity.
After 10-minutes stop them and ask each group to present their idea.
Listen to their idea without making any comments, though you may ask them how easy or hard it was for them to come up with their ideas.
After listening to their feedback, appreciate them for doing the activity and move on to review and close the session.
REVIEW AND CLOSE
To review the session tell them that:
- During this session we explored four proven frameworks for generating business ideas.
- First you reviewed the information you read about the frameworks from the one idea summary.
- Then I shared examples of business ideas generated by the frameworks.
- Finally, you did an activity to generate your own side hustle ideas using the frameworks.
- Now that you know about these frameworks, start generating your ideas and make sure you work on, and implement at least one of the ideas you generate.
After that end the session.
End the session